Cape Coral, Florida

This morning I took my daughter to have her blood drawn the lady at the front asked me for my insurance and a debit or credit card for any remaining balance. I asked, "Am I not supposed to authorize any charges beforehand? What is the remaining balance?" Her response, "Yes, this is for ANY unpaid balance the insurance doesn't pay so this would be for a pre-authorization."

The delivery was basically that it was part of the usual and customary registration process and that I had to provide my debit or credit card. She didn't inform me that they would use my card to preauthorize charges until I questioned her. I wasn't asked if I would like to provide my debit/credit card information in the event that there is a remaining balance, it would be taken care of without any further action on my part nor was I provided an acknowledgement form to sign consenting to authorize any remaining balance to be charged to my debit or credit card.

These unethical business practices are appalling and any rational person would recognize that this isn't right especially for people that don't speak the language or the elderly who are frequent clients and may not know or understand their rights. I witnessed an elderly woman searching and taking out everything from her wallet to provide a debit card. Lab Corp is deceiving clients and the last time I checked – it is called fraud. I plan on writing to Medicare, Medicaid and warning others.

Comments

So you are complaining that a company is doing a service for you and you have to pay them you self entitled baffoon. You must have it so rough that you are paying for services rendered in your name.

Wahhhhhhhh. Literally they're asking you for that because they don't want you to flake on paying them like so many other people *** do. It's a common issue they deal with. If you don't like it go to a lab that doesn't do this now....

Oh wait they all do because they're tired of being *** over by self righteous *** such as yourself.

They have your ss#, date of birth, & address. Identity fraud can easily happen.

rosie0923

All the insurance companies are aware of the new policy and all the lab are doing it now including hospitals

labcorpsucks

In response to Credit Card Captures, they asked me for credit/debit card when my daughter has medicaid and the elderly woman had medicare so any smart comments on that? (No pun intended).

Additionally, it may not be mandatory however the delivery wasn't that the request was optional.

I wasn’t asked if I would like to provide my debit/credit card information in the event that there is a remaining balance it would be taken care of without any further action on my part nor was I provided an acknowledgement form to sign consenting to charges for remaining balances to my debit or credit card. The delivery was that it was part of the usual and customary registration process and that I had to provide my debit or credit card as I would an insurance card.

Medicare patients are not supposed to give a credit card, and neither are medicaid patients. These are excluded from the procedure, so are STAT draws.

It is also not mandatory to give a credit card, you can refuse.

It is corprate policy and mandatory for the employee to ask for a credit card, but not mandatory to supply one. This is not unethical, fraudulent, or illegal.